Help

Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.
Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, build your professional profile and become a better marketer together.

Odoo suitability for our company

Hi All,

My name is Fadli, my company assigning me to set up integrated distribution system covering sales, inventory/warehouse, manufacturing (Master Production Schedule, Material requirement Planning), I think the rightness and perfectness it must be integrated with accounting too. But for now, I’ll focusing on sales, inventory/warehouse and manufacturing.

I don't know specifically and sure detailed about proper choice open source ERP that suitable for our company business process. The fast way it's absolutely hiring professional ERP consultant that can help us more accurate, fast to decide. But, the company trust me to learn and finding first, before hiring consultant. It's good for the company and me too.

From the middle December 2015, I Have 3 candidates open source ERP. Openbravo, Adempiere and Odoo. I don't have good method in deciding and comparing and have no a lot of time what the best from 3. But I spent a few days to learn from my coach, mentor, colleague and google also.

So, in the end of December 2015 I'm decided to choose odoo. The reasons is :
1. Absolutely open source and have proprietary product too.
2. Web based
3. Have all basic functionality between community and proprietary versions.
4. Have all database and all core applications.
5. The software covers all the standard warehousing, manufacturing, and sales channels
6. Powerful web interface I think
7. Better I have chosen one than no one.
8. If you asked me, is this the most suitable than Adempiere or Openbravo, I will answer "I need more time to learn 3 of that", but I have looking in mailing list, forum, community from other people experience.

I have several questions, but before that I'll illustrate my company :
1. Our company is manufacturing factory
2. From raw material until finish good, the product through many production section, its about 9 work centers production.
3. Our production method based on customer order, it seems "make to order", cmiiw. But, on production, we can't producing using fixed number or sure number of goods production, we need to defining yield percentage before production. For example if we want to produce 1000 goods, we must planning about 1100. Because we have pareto in production like defect, broken or failed goods and etc. We can take temporarily conclusion, although our method is "make to order", our production section will create some stock of goods after production, it's means, in next production, before we are planning production, we need to check last stock first.
4. We have many work center, it means, we have multilevel bill of material. For illustration, the picture below I hope can help to understand what its need.

Odoo-suitability-for-our-company 

For last two months, I've installing, try to understand odoo 9 using my existing business case in our company, I try to create sales order then automatically create manufacturing order. I have some big question.
The question is :
1. When the sales order created, can we check stock first? If the needs ready on stock, so no need to create manufacturing orders. But if the stock only have some, then then the system create automatically the rest of needs.
2. Can system automatically create multi level manufacturing orders, of course in every levels always checking the stock first? The trigger is not the minimum stock limit, but the sales orders from customer. So, if the stock has 0, if no orders from customer, no need to create stock. But, if you have stock 1500, and the orders is need 2000, so system will automatically create the rest of needs, 500. See the picture below to illustrate.

Odoo-suitability-for-our-company 

The question is :
3. Which the suitable version of odoo, 9 or 8 ? since odoo 9 still lack of documentation and forum/mailing list.

4. I'm very appreciated if somebody sharing to me link tutorial / pdf / video. How to proper setup the "setting" in each module like sales, purchase, warehouse/inventory, manufacturing, so I can learn how to setup the right setting for my business case from example.

5. I would appreciate too, if somebody wanna discussing with me using skype, email, facebook or anything.

Discard
2 Answers
David Tran
Best Answer
Fadli wrote:I think the rightness and perfectness it must be integrated with accounting too.
I agree with you. Don't go ERP without a solid accounting.
Fadli wrote:
So, in the end of December 2015 I'm decided to choose odoo
Congrats! Odoo should be the best choice if you have less than 2000 users. I don't have experience with Odoo implementation for the larger.
Fadli wrote:
1. When the sales order created, can we check stock first? If the needs ready on stock, so no need to create manufacturing orders. But if the stock only have some, then then the system create automatically the rest of needs.
You should have some modifications made on Odoo's routing. You can get a new module developed to do something as below:
  1. Add a field (somthing like check_stock = True/False) on the stock routing
  2. Override stock.move model and its prepare procurement method to ask it to check the stock first
  3. Override mrp.production model and its make consume line method to use new calculation that "check stock first"
We can call the above process "MTO + Check Stock first"
Fadli wrote:
2. Can system automatically create multi level manufacturing orders, of course in every levels always checking the stock first? The trigger is not the minimum stock limit, but the sales orders from customer. So, if the stock has 0, if no orders from customer, no need to create stock. But, if you have stock 1500, and the orders is need 2000, so system will automatically create the rest of needs, 500. See the picture below to illustrate.
After a modification is made as above (1), this will be fine accordingly.
Fadli wrote:
3. Which the suitable version of odoo, 9 or 8 ? since odoo 9 still lack of documentation and forum/mailing list.
Currently, Odoo 8 is more powerful and very stable. In term of functionality, Odoo 9 Enterprise is the number one, the Odoo 8 is the second, Odoo 9 Community lacks of some important features (e.g. dynamic accounting reports, multi-company).

So, if you can afford yearly subscription cost for Odoo 9 Enterprise, should go with it. Otherwise, Odoo 8 should be the best choice for you. Many of our new customers still insist on Odoo 8 as it is very stable and it has lots of 3rd party modules available for usage.
Discard
Fadli
Best Answer

Hi David,

Nice to meet you dude, and thank you for your answer, may be now I'll try to uninstall my Odoo 9 first, then installing Odoo 8. Do you have several recommendation link / site / video about setup or how to mastering Odoo 8. After I've installed Odoo 8 and try it, I'll be back soon and give you feed back.

Discard

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!